Saturday, April 17, 2010

House-a-versary

Last week was our House-a-versary. What drew me most to the home, was the multitude of gardens. The elderly women we purchased the house from, truly loved her flowers. They were everywhere! Fields of Daffodils, Azaleas and Rhododendrons in every color imaginable, Irises, huge beds full of daylillies, flowers were popping out of every corner of the yard. Unfortunately, so were the weeds. It was obvious that the former owner had been quite the Gardener, but perhaps not during the last few years.

The flowers drew me to the house. I was in love. There was only one tiny little problem. I had yet to meet a plant that didn't seem to prefer death over me. Yup, it's true. No green thumb here, not even a little smudge of green on the fingernail. I never gave much thought to gardening before. My idea of landscaping was ensuring the grass was short enough so the kids were still visible when playing in the yard.

Nevertheless, this yard called to me. It sang to me. Weed me, tend me, take care of me! And so I weeded vigorously (although more come take their place), poured over gardening books, managed to accumulate a few houseplants I have yet to kill, and even started my own flowers from seed this spring. Of course, I also accidentally cut down things I should not, and carefully baby weeds by mistake. As I learn, the yard slowly looks better, brighter, and happier.

Come along with me, as I learn through my mistakes and triumphs! And, feel free to share your own.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one whose garden talks. jim

    ReplyDelete