Monday, April 19, 2010

What to do about the Daffodils


We have an amazing amount of daffodils in our yard. When I say an amazing amount, I'm not just talking about a few clumps here or there. We have hundreds everywhere. Three weeks ago, the yard was full of them, EVERYWHERE. But the show is over now, and we are left with with the greenery, but not the flowers. When all the hundreds were in bloom, it was a showstopper...seriously, cars stopping in front of our house.

But now, well, it looks more like a dead flower graveyard! I need to start looking at other ideas to plant amongst the daffodils for next year, so we still have some flowers there!

I read a little bit about Daffodils today. I knew the foliage cannot be cut back until the leaves yellow and start to die on their own, but I did just read that that you should pull off the spent flowers. Off to the garden, I soon shall go!

I had planned on taking a picture of each variety, so that I could research names, but alas, time ran out on me. I counted 52 total varieties. Oh well, next year. I did, snap a few pictures, one is DH's favorite, and other is a nice bouquet for the kitchen table. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. How exciting to have a new home and established gardens. You will probably discover all kind of surprises throughout the growing season. Good luck on your adventure and welcome to Blotanical.
    Lona @ A Hocking Hills Garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky you. I recently purchased a Victorian home, with no gardens. Nothing but 3/4 of an acre of lawn (that is a lot of cutting)! Would love to have hundreds of daffs, and so many different varities. Love them.

    ReplyDelete